As human beings we are bound to feel anxious and depressed. When these feelings go beyond our control, we can knock the door of telepsychiatry which is the most modern method of taking psychiatric help as the concept of video consultation and telemedicine seeps in our society. It is a means of providing psychiatric healthcare from a distance. It involves psychiatric evaluations and therapies like individual therapy, family therapy, group therapy etc. Through telepsychiatry psychiatrists also support primary care providers in hospital settings if the patient shows any need for mental health intervention.
Why telepsychiatry is here to stay
- It is a known fact that people have increasingly started coming out and discussing their mental health problems. There is an influx of more numbers of reporting of mental health issues
- Accessing psychiatrists becomes easier from convenience of the homes
- Not only the urban population but the rural population also finds it easier to access
- Help would be available in lesser time as trips to doctors clinic and wait time gets chucked off
- Since consultations are happening from the comfort of the homes, there is lesser fear of stigma
Many people feel awkward in talking to someone who is on a screen but at the same time due to the necessity of social distancing, getting into the mode of video consultation has become far more acceptable. Moreover, with smart phones being such a common accessory these days there are lesser and lesser inhibitions on talking on the video call as people are as it is doing it with their friends and relatives on a regular basis. Inhibitions are being shed off faster. Telepsychiatry is convenient, affordable and accessible. When a significant service can be availed from the comfort of home, the concept of seeking mental help online is here to stay forever.